Each week, Studio 108, Lyndhurst will turn the spotlight on one of our teachers.
Cathy Konciak of North Arlington is certified in yoga and Pilates and has over 30 years of experience. She teaches Pilates every Monday, 7:45-8:45 p.m and Thursdays from 8-8:45 p.m.
- How did you get started with Pilates?
I first tried a Pilates mat class at a fitness conference in the early 90s. It was one of the hardest things I had ever done!
- What got you hooked?
I liked how my body was challenged in a very different way than everything else I was doing. I also felt great!
- What’s one of your favorite poses/ moves and why?
I like the teaser because it is challenging, looks impressive and is really the culmination of everything else.
- What makes a private studio different/better than a Pilates class at the gym?
People in a private Studio have a different mindset. They are more focused and not distracted by what else is happening around them.
- For someone who’s never tried Pilates before, what are the main benefits they may gain from practicing it?
Pilates isn’t just for what you do in class. The strength that you get from training your core translates into everything you do in everyday life.
- What styles of pilates do you teach? Besides the style you teach, is there any other you enjoy?
There are considered to be two styles of Pilates in my opinion. There is classical Pilates and contemporary Pilates. I teach classical style Pilates. I have tried some contemporary Pilates and I have enjoyed it. The contemporary teachers don’t follow Joseph Pilates’s order and create exercises that are not in the classical repertoire.
- Do you do anything else to stay in shape?
I go to the gym and I use weights, rowing machine and exercise bikes. I also walk my dog but he is elderly and cannot walk as far as he used to.
- Who inspires you to stay motivated? How often do you practice when you are not teaching?
I work at a studio in NYC with one of my original pilates teachers. His name is Peter Roel and he is a tremendous motivation for me. When I am not teaching, I try to work out twice a week, even if it is an abbreviated session.
- How seriously do you take nutrition?
I take nutrition very seriously. I have some food sensitivities, I have to be careful.
- What’s an interesting fact about yourself that others may not know?
I worked in the photographic industry for over 25 years.
- Please tell us more about the class you teach at Studio 108.
I teach a classical Pilates mat class but I like to interject what is called pre-Pilates exercises into the class. I also like to use the stability balls and foam rollers in different ways to challenge the students and there is always a good time to use a magic circle!